PAC History

The College is a state institution of higher learning, fully chartered in 1974, by virtue of Republic Act No. 4576, "An Act Converting the Pampanga National Agricultural School in Magalang, Pampanga into Pampanga Agricultural College (PAC)", and complemented by Republic Act No. 8292 also known as the "Higher Education Modernization Act of 1997".

As the "agricultural" word attached in its name, it is mandated to offer agriculture and agriculture related curricular programs, not withstanding the offering of allied fields. PAC operates a single campus, which lies at the western slope of majestic Mt. Arayat in the Municipality of Magalang, Pampanga some 15 kilometers east of Angeles City.

It started as an agricultural experiment station known as "Estacion Pecuaria" in 1885 and was later renamed "La Granja Modelo de Magalang". Then it bacame Magalang Farm School, but was closed in 1898 due to revolution.

It resumed operations in 1918 with Frank T. Ebbsen as the first American principal through the efforts of Governor Honorio Ventura and Assemblyman Andres Luciano, together with American teacher Kilmer Moe. In 1921, the school began to offer curricula in both the intermediate and high school levels.

In 1938, the Philippine Legislature passed Commonwealth Act 313 renaming Magalang Farm School to Pampanga National Agricultural School (PNAS). Again, the school was closed in 1941 on account of the Second World War. It was re-opened in 1945 only to be closed once more (in August 1946) because of the HUK Rebelion. Finally, classes resumed again (in 1955) when peace restored.

Although PNAS was converted into the Pampanga Agricultural College in 1965 by virtue of Republic Act No. 4576, the said law was not fully implemented during that year, since the school was only offering secondary agriculture curriculum. Similarly, it underwent a transition stage from 1966-1969 under the supervision of the Bureau of Public Schools, the period when it actually started offering associate and bachelor programs of technical agriculture.

Its final stage to becoming a chartered state college was supervised by the Bureau of Vacational Education by virtue of RA 3742 from 1969 to 1974. Finally it operated as a chartered state college in 1974 with Superintendent Felix V. Remegio as its First President.